Nathan Taggart 16 November 2012
I make web businesses that make money.
Nathan Taggart started his first web-based business at 18 and has been building digital products and companies ever since. His expertise is in bootstrapping and building products that are quick to profitability and are self-sustaining.
Nathan got his start in technology as a marketer, managing over $10MM in online advertising spend and building custom bidding algorithms which dominated on Google — taking his last company from $3,000/mo in revenue to $40,000/day.
Nathan worked in Silicon Valley as interim CEO for a nationwide pre-employment screening company with clients among the Fortune 100. Additionally, Nathan has executive experience as an outside CTO, building and leading IT teams across several industries.
Currently, Nathan serves as CEO to LaunchSide, a company he founded with his longtime business partner, Chris Chong.
Nathan co-founded LaunchSide in May 2011 and with a small seed round raised through the Portland Seed Fund, Nathan now leads a team of 8 working on some of the most interesting digital projects in Portland. LaunchSide offers digital product development and go-to-market expertise in exchange for equity and/or participation in the projects’ successes.
Outside of work, Nathan shares a passion for wine with his wife, Meredith Taggart. Together, they started a boutique wine label in 2011, meredithwines.com. Nathan and Meredith have no children of their own, but they provide therapeutic foster care for children through Albertina Kerr.
What are you up to?
The nature of my company, LaunchSide, is that we get to work on a wide variety of interesting projects across a range of industries.
While many of our projects aren’t public yet, some of the things we’re working on are:
- Creating a marketplace for investors in tax lien certificates. (www.aztaxsales.com)
- Creating a tool for website owners to receive text message alerts for important website events (like sales, contact form submissions, 500 errors, etc)
- Creating an end-to-end invoicing solution for a major, top-tier car manufacturer.
- Creating an online billing solution for the clients of Oregon’s largest mailhouse.
- Helping non-profits identify their key, un-tapped (or under-tapped) donors with a machine-learning, big-data SaaS product.
- Working on a medical document management solution for the worker’s comp space.
- Consulting for companies in the Portland Seed Fund and UpStart Labs. If I ever get invited to PIE, I’ll complete the trifecta
- Looking for more projects all the time!
If you have a project or digital product idea that you’re trying to develop, please reach out. Our client-partners find that our participatory approach helps them reduce the risk of working with an outside team to develop new parts of their businesses.
Outside of work, I’m a frequent participant and supporter of Portland Startup Weekend, having served as a mentor for four events and counting.
I love Portland! After living in half a dozen cities across the US (and even a year as an expat), I can confidently say that I belong in Portland. I love being a tourist in my own city — I spend an embarrassing amount of time in Powell’s. I’m trying to eat at every notable restaurant and foodcart in town. My favorite’s are Le Pigeon and Whiffie’s Fried Pies, respectively (although Brunch Box deserves an honorable mention).
Outside of the city, I can frequently be found in the Willamette Valley, where I enjoy the elegance of Oregon wines. My wife and I came to Oregon from Napa for the wine, and we’ll never go back.
Tags: #bootstrapper #ceo #explorer #seedster #psf
Now that Portland has met Nathan, they’d love to meet you.